Sunday, September 28, 2014

Finally moving

The Impulse

After perceiving Cornell university's fully functional 3D printed loudspeaker and Josef Průša's 3D printed speaker I decided to make my own. From my point of view this proof of concept had to be taken little bit further and it demanded a case. From this basis and the fact that I'm not able to print metal (yet) I started building my own idea of what an encapsulated speaker should look like. I utilized one of my favorite slic3r property; printing a solid object into vase and decided to use a cylinder neodymium magnet with 9mm diameter and 5mm height combined with basic magnet wire as the actual electric part of this project.

The Foundation

As I wasn't able to print multiple materials at the same time, due the fact I haven't installed second hotend yet, I had to rely on bendable structure instead of bendable material. The cone was simply inspired by ice cream and the base materialized for the needs of the design of the cone and element of the speaker.

The Deed

Printing the element testing the worthiness of your printer will result better sound quality, I did use layer height of 0.1mm and leaving some space for improvements to see in the future. Rest is up to the playfulness. After printing both the element and the mount I did attach the magnet with some glue and winded the coil to satisfy my audio amplifier with 4Ω of rebellion.

Brevity is the soul of wit;  to form the matter everything was crumpled with the aid of the infamous glue.